We are always interested in sharing research initiatives!
Below you may find a list of platforms and databases with useful resources, information on research networks and on-going research projects, and anything else that may be of interest in the field of “heritage and socialism”.
Databases and platforms
A platform with articles, news on exhibitions, publications and conferences dealing with post-war architecture in Central and Eastern Europe. It also includes references to further databases of modernist architecture in different post-socialist countries.
A platform for cooperation between organisations from Former Yugoslavia who are problematising questions of revalorisation and protection of National Liberation Struggle historic monuments. Partners are the Group of Architects (GA), the History Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Moderna galerija in Ljubljana.
- DDR-Planungsgeschichte. Portal des IRS Erkner zur Bau- und Planungsgeschichte der DDR [GDR planning history. Portal of the IRS Erkner for the construction and planning history of the GDR], information only available in German
The database includes the Denkmallisten (monument inventories) of the GDR as well as information on GDR architects and a useful overview of the archival collections of the Leibniz Institute for Research on Society and Space (IRS) in Erkner, Brandenburg.
Book series and other publications
- Forschungen zum baukulturellen Erbe der DDR [Research on architectural heritage of the GDR] / publications in German
Edited by Hans-Rudolf Meier, Bauhaus Institute for History and Theory of Architecture and Planning, Bauhaus University Weimar
Research projects and networks
A network of eighteen Leibniz institutes and four external partners exploring how contemporary conceptions of authenticity affect the way we deal with cultural heritage. Funded by the Leibniz Association, Germany.
- Research project “Museums and Controversial Collections. Politics and Policies of Heritage-Making in Post-colonial and Post-socialist Contexts”
New Europe College, Institute for Advanced Study, Bucharest. Funded by the National Research Council (CNCS) for the period of 2015-2017
- Research Group W D W M “Which monuments, which modernity? Understanding, evaluating and communicating the architectural heritage of the second half of the 20th Century” / information available in German, partly in English
Bauhaus University Weimar and Technical University Dortmund. Funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany, for the period of 2014-2017
- Graduate School “Identität und Erbe” [Identity and Heritage] / information only available in German
Technical University Berlin and Bauhaus University Weimar. Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Research project “Geschichte bauen. Architektonische Rekonstruktion und Nationsbildung (19.-21. Jahrhundert)” [Building history. Architectural reconstruction and nation-building (19th-21st century)] / information only available in German
Research group with four sub-projects at the Leibniz Institute for the History and Culture of Eastern Europe (GWZO), Leibzig, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany, for the period of 2014-2019
- Project “abandoned (re)creation – opustená (re)kreácia” / information available in Slovakian, partly in English
Founded in 2011 in a spa town in Slovakia, this arts workshop for students has been gradually evolving into an artistic and scholarly project that seeks to promote the safeguarding of modernist spa architecture.
International network of scholars and researchers working in the field of heritage studies that seeks to promote heritage as an area of critical enquiry.
- Graduate school “Kulturelle und technische Werte historischer Bauten” [Cultural and technical values of historic buildings] / information available only in German
Brandenburg Technical University, Cottbus-Senftenberg, Germany. Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG)